Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Translation: Nien Ting Wu reacts to playing his first ichi-gun game


On Sunday, the Saitama Seibu Lions called up Nien Ting Wu for the second time. But this time around, they let him make his ichi-gun debut against the Orix Buffaloes.

Wu was named to the "fresh" (Farm) All-star game and has had a terrific season in ni-gun. He was drafted in the 7th round out of Daiichi Kogyo University last fall and was the only infielder in the 10-man class. Originally born in Taiwan, Wu moved to Japan as a child and went to high school in the Kanto region.

In his debut, he had his first career base hit with a single up the middle on his second career at-bat.  He also had an early put-out in the first inning.

Pacific League TV put up a video of his interview:


===

Here is a translation of what he said:

First of all, congratulations on your first ichi-gun game and first start.

"Thank You."

===

What are your thoughts and feelings after the first game?

"I was shocked when I first found that I was starting. It was quite nerve wrecking initially, but then I slowly got into the rhythm of the game." *Laughing bloopers* "The feeling is quite fulfilling."

===

When did you find out you were going to [make your ichi-gun debut]?

"I found out from [batting coach Shigenobu Shima] after the game [on Saturday]."

===

Still remember the feeling the moment you found out about the first start?

"I was very nervous and a bit frantic."

===

Along with that... did you toss and turn last night when sleeping?

"Indeed it was hard to sleep well."

===

Now let's look back at when you were first at bat. What were your feelings during the bottom of the 2nd inning when you were at the plate?

"At the time, I wanted to get my first hit, but the ball trend was a bit different than what I had in mind so I struck out. I felt normal."

===

What was the mood (environment) like when you were at bat?

"I can hear fans chanting my name from left field, it was like they were cheering for and encouraging me by my side."

===

Now in the bottom of the 6th inning, you succeeded in hitting Brandon Dickson's famous curve ball to the outfield. What was [going through] your mind?

"Although I struck out the first time, on the third at-bat I was able to aim at the ball and beautifully hit the ball out."

===

Is the first hit ball with you?

"Yes, it's right here." *shows ball*

===

What do you plan to do with the ball?

"Mail it home and display it at home."

===

Today you were able to complete your first game with the ichi-gun and get your first hit, what would be your next goal?

"I would like to get 1 base hit and 1 walk from 4 balls at each game."

===

Lastly, what would you like to say to the Lions fans at Seibu Prince Dome?

"[After] receiving the enormous cheering support from the fans, I will continue to work hard starting tomorrow, please cheer me on!"

===

Special Thanks to Vivien Wong for translation help.

===

Follow us on Twitter @GraveyardBall

No comments:

Post a Comment